Harkness Memorial Tower and Memorial Quadrangle

In 1917, Harkness Tower and the Memorial Quadrangle were donated by Anna M. Harkness in memory of her son, Charles (BA 1883). The dedication inscription may be seen on the wall in the tower’s nave area under the bells. Near the door to the bell tower, a second inscription states that, in 1921, Mrs. Harkness also donated the “original ten-bell chime in this tower as part of the memorial,” and that, in 1966, Miss Floren S. Marcy Grofut “gave the additional forty-four bells to form a carillon in memory of her parents, Sidney W. and Lucy E. Marcy Grofut.”

(Photograph by the Women Faculty Forum.)